Art & Science on a Postcard 2020
What happens when 5 artists and 5 scientists come together?
Art & Science on a Postcard is a networking opportunity, online workshop and digital showcase taking place across three weeks, for artists and scientists to exchange knowledge and ideas and get creative with science.
WEEK 1: Pre-Workshop Mixer event
A pre-workshop mixer one week before the event is for you to meet potential partners and connect before the main workshop. It is important you are available for both the mixer and workshop so you can start the conversation and you can make the most of your partnership with an artist or scientist.
WEEK 2: The Workshop
Artists will be encouraged to act as a creative mentor to the scientist they are paired with, sharing their practice and experience and scientists will be encouraged to communicate their research in ways that are accessible and to think outside the box in terms of how their science could be represented. The challenge is to ‘distill` an idea or your conversation onto an A6 postcard. The materials used by the artist scientist pairs on the day can be anything from mixed media, to digital technology, written word and audio visual. We are here to support whichever creative format works for you.
WEEK 3: Art & Science on a Postcard Online Showcase
We will showcase the creations made over the two days of Art & Science on a Postcard 2021 via our Art & Science on a Postcard digital showcase, panel discussion and Zoom Social event. This will be a virtual experience held online, providing the opportunity for you to present the postcards you produce and share your experience of the collaborative process including challenges and successes!
How to Book
The Mixer and Workshop will take place online on Zoom. Sign-up via Eventbrite using the registration button below, you will be emailed two separate Zoom links for the mixer and the workshop prior to each event.
Click and Register
*Registration for a ticket is free but includes a deposit that will be refunded on attendance at the event. If for reasons outside your control you have registered and are no longer able to make it, please make sure to cancel your registration prior to the event so that someone else can take your space.
- creatively explore concepts of current scientific research
- unearth and discuss some of the current complex questions of life being explored in science
- share your creative practice and approaches with scientists and other artists
- produce your own creative reactions to science through responsive image making (on a postcard)
- explore the challenge of image making in response to current scientific research
- be a creative mentor to your scientist partner
- think creatively about the essence of your research and in a metaphorical and narrative sense
- explore alternative ways to explain and share your research with non-scientists
- get excited about your research
- get non-science audiences excited and engaged with current scientific research
- produce your own creative reaction and explore the challenge of making images (on a postcard) that reflects and/or capture aspects of your research
- help your creative partner to engage with and find their own connection to scientific research