Brought to you by ASCUS Art & Science and InterSci in collaboration with the Festival of Creative Learning 2020 and Forest Cafe, Art & Science on a Postcard is a networking and hands-on workshop for artists and scientists to exchange knowledge and ideas and get creative with science.
Art & Science on a Postcard 2020
What happens when 5 artists and 5 scientists come together in an open science lab?
Fri 28th Feb 6.00 – 8.00pm, Forest Cafe
From Mon 10th Feb, Forest Cafe
A pre-workshop mixer one week before the event so you can meet potential partners and connect before the main workshop.
It is important you are available for both the mixer and workshop so you can start the conversation and you can make the most of your partnership with an artist or scientist.
Artists will be encouraged to act as a creative mentor to the scientist they are paired with, sharing their practice and experience and scientists will be encouraged to communicate their research in ways that are accessible and to think outside the box in terms of how their science could be represented. The challenge is to ‘distill` an idea or your conversation onto an A6 postcard.
Who is it for
We encourage artists interested in exploring the challenge of image-making in response to current scientific research, and scientists interested in embracing creative approaches to image-making to help convey their research to take part.
Art & Science on a Postcard Exhibition.
This year we are showcasing the creations made over 3 installments of Art & Science on a Postcard since 2018 as well as some exciting additions from ASCUS Lab workshops and InterSci’s archive. Our Art & Science on a Postcard exhibition will be on show in Forest Cafe from Mon 10th Feb. It will be an evolving display with creations from this year’s workshop added during the run.
Exhibition & Panel Discussion
A panel discussion with participants from this year’s workshops, including a viewing of this year’s and previous year’s creations.
6.30 – 9pm
(please arrive 10/15mins before the start time to get settled)
Click and Register
*Registration for a ticket is free but includes a deposit that will be refunded on attendance at the event. If for reasons outside your control you have registered and are no longer able to make it, please make sure to cancel your registration prior to the event so that someone else can take your space.
- creatively explore concepts of current scientific research
- unearth and discuss some of the current complex questions of life being explored in science
- share your creative practice and approaches with scientists and other artists
- produce your own creative reactions to science through responsive image making (on a postcard)
- explore the challenge of image making in response to current scientific research
- be a creative mentor to your scientist partner
- think creatively about the essence of your research and in a metaphorical and narrative sense
- explore alternative ways to explain and share your research with non-scientists
- get excited about your research
- get non-science audiences excited and engaged with current scientific research
- explore the challenge of making images (on a postcard) that reflect and/or capture aspects of your research
- be challenged to explain your science in alternative and simplified ways