Brought to you by ASCUS Art & Science and InterSci and in collaboration with the Festival of Creative Learning 2019, Art & Science on a Postcard, is a networking and hands-on workshop for artists and scientists to exchange knowledge and ideas and to get creative with science.
Art & Science on a Postcard
Pre Workshop Mixer: Saturday 19th January (Levels Cafe)
Workshop 01: 10:00am-12:30pm, Sat 26th (ASCUS Lab)
Workshop 02: 1:00pm-3:30pm, Sat 26th (ASCUS Lab)
Festival of Creative Learning: Pop-up Exhibition Monday 18th February
Exhibition Discussion: 18:30-19:30 (Main Library, George Square)
Launch Party: 20:00-23:00 (Loft Bar, Teviot Student Union)
A pre workshop mixer event on 19th January so you will have the opportunity to meet your partner and chat the week before the main workshop. It is important you are available for both the mixer and workshop so you can start the conversation.
Artists will be encouraged to act as a creative mentor to the scientist they are paired with, sharing their practice and experience and scientists will be encouraged to communicate their research in ways that are accessible and to think outside the box in terms of how their science could be represented. The challenge being to ‘distill` an idea or your conversation onto a A6 postcard.
This workshop will culminate in a pop-up exhibition at the Main Library, in the University of Edinburgh showcasing the Postcards produced during the 26th January making workshop, with the idea being to celebrate the process of art-science exchange and interactions in creative and responsive ways.
Why join this workshop?
- creatively explore concepts of current scientific research
- unearth and discuss some of the current complex questions of life being explored in science
- share your creative practice and approaches with scientists and other artists
- produce your own creative reactions to science through responsive image making (on a postcard)
- explore the challenge of image making in response to current scientific research
- be a creative mentor to your scientist partner
- think creatively about the essence of your research and in a metaphorical and narrative sense
- explore alternative ways to explain and share your research with non-scientists
- get excited about your research
- get non-science audiences excited and engaged with current scientific research
- explore the challenge of making images (on a postcard) that reflect and/or capture aspects of your research
- be challenged to explain your science in alternative and simplified ways
If this experience and exciting challenge is for you then book your place below
(please arrive 10/15mins before the start time as we will begin promptly at the advertised time)
Click and Register
*Registration for a ticket is free but includes a deposit that will be refunded on attendance at the event. If for reasons outside your control you have registered and are no longer able to make it then please make sure to cancel your registration prior to the event so that someone else can take your space.